Wednesday, April 13, 2011

British Columbia Sights

The ferry ride from Horseshoe Bay, north of downtown Vancouver, to Langale is one of those trips were I can get up really close to the beauty of nature. It is a short 30 minute ride filled with visual treats from the start. The snow covered mounains fall into the gray ocean water. Islands of dappled green float by. Mystery boats keep their secrets in tiny inlets. I was up there for only 5 days and time still went by like a shot. Here is a wonderful art piece outside the ticket office at the treminal. The orca is painted with scenes of the life in the sound.
And yes orcas do indeed live here.









The ferry, the Queen of Coquitlan, approaches the terminal with the snow line of the Canadian Rockies hanging low and cool. I will be on board in but a few moments.

The carved totem pole in the watefront park has all the traditional carved figures such as raven, bear and eagle.





Its a little too early for tourists to be gawking and squawking at the views, so the desks are empty. The occasional and desperate smoker hides in the sun room to the left. Hard to believe it was not that long ago that it was OK to smoke anywhere you wanted to on board.







The afternoon ride was foggy and gray, best suited for a warm cup of tea, so I got one. It was two bucks. Locals bring their own tea bag and get a free cup of hot water and make their own. Told to me with a smirk by a woman who reflected her natural surroundings.









The big treat for me was having a ocean otter swim up to the boat and look up at me. This was the first time in my life I have ever seen one of these wonderful creatures. Way bigger than I would have thought. Tiny ears. They love to eat crabs, no wonder I can identify with them.














Smiles for you, and here's to your good health. Hope to be back here again soon.

This was a very fast trip to see family, sights and relax in the sun while home was still wet with rain. Go figure.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Lean and clean and ready for the trail weather (pun) its sunny, rainy or whatever, let's go !!!! I am 72 and feel great. I do what I can to stay that way. My lifestyle is about being active outside in all kinds of weather, in the sun or under the moon, here in the great NW or out in the world discovering other cultures, other beautiful places. To be one with nature is what I am deeply connected to. What I gain from this sustains my spirit, shapes my body, and fulfills my journey of understanding my place in this world. And always learning some new things and some new truths. Hiking in the old growth really moves me. I go ancient forests here and world wide. Typical travel is to go into the largest city closest to the old growth or mountains I want to explore There search out the local museums, art galleries, restaurants and finding about other treasures is a must do. In the forest, spend as much time as needed to discover the biology, history and beauty. I will even hire a local guide to better understand what is there, and make a new friend.