Saturday, March 5, 2011

Snow decisions

The conditions are not good. More snow is falling everyday, increasing the depth and since its slightly warm the snow is very wet. This makes for sloggy conditions, post holing even with snowshoes. And carrying a heavy pack just drives me deeper into the snow. I have done this trip for the last two winters and vowed that I would never punish myself so brutally again. Ten hours to go ten miles. Ten miles of not a soul. If something happens I am on my own for a long time. Crazy. My only sneaky way to beat this is to arrive between 2 to 3 in the morning when the snow should be still below freezing. Then I can make pretty fast time, maybe as fast as 4 hours, traveling on top of the frozen or packed snow. This would get me to the cabin before the wet conditions take over. Oh, did I mention I will be pulling a sled with all my gear up hill for the most part. Got to have that fine wine and tasty dinner....food for the five days.

I am also nervous about leaving the truck on the edge of the road. I can imagine the local sheriff wondering if I am dead or what. Tow it or leave it he wonders.  And the local yahoos go " Hey, free truck everyone."

Forecast is for snow everyday for a week, maybe rain snow mix.  So, I have to do the same trick to return back home.

Conditions are not good.

Gotta go.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Lean and clean and ready for the trail weather (pun) its sunny, rainy or whatever, let's go !!!! I am 72 and feel great. I do what I can to stay that way. My lifestyle is about being active outside in all kinds of weather, in the sun or under the moon, here in the great NW or out in the world discovering other cultures, other beautiful places. To be one with nature is what I am deeply connected to. What I gain from this sustains my spirit, shapes my body, and fulfills my journey of understanding my place in this world. And always learning some new things and some new truths. Hiking in the old growth really moves me. I go ancient forests here and world wide. Typical travel is to go into the largest city closest to the old growth or mountains I want to explore There search out the local museums, art galleries, restaurants and finding about other treasures is a must do. In the forest, spend as much time as needed to discover the biology, history and beauty. I will even hire a local guide to better understand what is there, and make a new friend.