Friday, March 4, 2011

Winding up for snow

This trip is all about the prep and journey to a tiny cabin tucked away in the old growth forest of Oregon. To reach it, follow an old road for seven 'n half miles and then follow a small trail winding its way past huge trees and lush vegetation for another mile. Most of this mile is uphill.

I am worried about the snow load both on the roof as well as what has fallen behind the cabin. The snow load on the back wall of the cabin can cause it to lean forward, the heavy snow on the roof will finish the job. We have had a lot of snow in the Cascades this winter and more is promised for the next day or so. Sunday seems  so far away even though its only two days away and there is still much to prepare.

I shopped for the basics yesterday, trying to follow a menu of sorts. I included fresh Chinook salmon, a hearty burgundy stew, kung pao chicken and am still up in the air as for for another meal. And a little wine. I need to let the big B know I am coming through and see if he needs anything. Since he is my closest neighbor, with only one mile of trail between our cabins, so I like to keep him advised. They have been snowed in all week, with more falling daily. He might need something and its no sweat to get it.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Lean and clean and ready for the trail weather (pun) its sunny, rainy or whatever, let's go !!!! I am 72 and feel great. I do what I can to stay that way. My lifestyle is about being active outside in all kinds of weather, in the sun or under the moon, here in the great NW or out in the world discovering other cultures, other beautiful places. To be one with nature is what I am deeply connected to. What I gain from this sustains my spirit, shapes my body, and fulfills my journey of understanding my place in this world. And always learning some new things and some new truths. Hiking in the old growth really moves me. I go ancient forests here and world wide. Typical travel is to go into the largest city closest to the old growth or mountains I want to explore There search out the local museums, art galleries, restaurants and finding about other treasures is a must do. In the forest, spend as much time as needed to discover the biology, history and beauty. I will even hire a local guide to better understand what is there, and make a new friend.